Commercial ranch dressing is delicious, no doubt. But have you looked at the list of ingredients? Soybean oil, sugar, nonfat buttermilk, natural flavors (soy), phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, monosodium glutamate, artifical flavors, calcium disodium EDTA as a preservative, disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate. The label also says “No Preservatives.” I’m confused; the ingredients list calcium disodium EDTA “as a preservative”. That doesn’t make sense. Play it safe. Make your own.
Ranch Style Dressing makes 1 pint
1 clove garlic (large or small depending on how spicy you like your dressing)
4-5 sprigs dill
5-6 sprigs Italian parsley
1 green onion
1 c yogurt (or 1/2 cup yogurt plus 1/2 c whey if you like a thinner dressing)
1/2 c mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
- Place garlic in food processor. Pulse several times to mince.
- Place dill, parsley, and onion in food processor. Pulse several times to mince.
- Add yogurt and mayonnaise. Run processor until mixed well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in refrigerator. Keeps for a month or more unless you eat it all!
This post is part of the Probiotic Food Challenge on Real Food Forager.